The title of this post is an oxymoron (a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction) on purpose. All of the following impossible things would have to happen for you to lose your salvation. None of these things can happen. There is no unsecurity of the believer. Therefore, you can be confident your salvation is secure.
- Saved never becomes unsaved
- There is no recorded account in the Bible of anyone who is positively declared to have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ to the saving of his soul who is ever said to be unsaved. (Acts 16)
- Born again never un-born-again
- Being born again from above is a miraculous spiritual birth, and just like you can’t go back into your mother’s womb and reverse the conception process and be un-born in the first place, neither can you reverse the spiritual birth. (John 3)
- Sins can’t become un-paid
- When you were saved, you died with the Lord Jesus Christ, in his death and burial for your sins. There is no way you can undo that event. There is no such thing as undeath and unburial for sins. (Hebrews 9)
- A new creation never un-created
- When you are saved, you join with the Lord Jesus Christ and participate in his resurrection to new life. That new life that you have with the Lord Jesus Christ never ends. (Galatians 6)
- The Bread of Life never spoils
Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35) Jesus did not lie, you will not get hungry or thirsty again, your salvation is secure.
- Christ in you never leaves
- Why would he? You were dead in sins and trespasses when he came. How could you ever be any worse than that? (Colossians 1)
- Nobody can pluck you out of Christ’s hand
- If God is strong enough to keep you from being plucked out of his hands by anybody, it’s just stupid to think you can jump out of his hands. You are somebody and you aren’t strong enough. (John 10)
- The guarantee of the Holy Spirit never quits
- When you are saved, you are given the Holy Spirit as a guarantee of the promise of eternal life. It wouldn’t be much of a guarantee or a promise if it could be revoked. (2 Corinthians 5)
- Eternal life never ends
- There is no hint in the Bible of eternal life being some kind of probationary eternal life that you have to work towards and finally obtain at the end of your life. (1 John 5)
- Sheep never become goats
- Once you accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior shepherd, you become a sheep of his flock, and no matter how you wander, you can never change from being a blessed sheep to becoming a scorned goat. (John 10)
- Gold never becomes dross
- Once you have been purified by your new creation, and you have been changed to be like you never sinned, and sin does not have any more power over you, there is no way your purified nature can turn back into dross. (1 Peter 1)
- You can’t become unbaptized
If you have been buried with Jesus Christ by baptism into death, and have been raised up from the dead with Jesus Christ as a new creation (Romans 6), there is no such thing as unbaptism back into death.
For deeper study:
- What is the gospel?
- What about born again?
- You can know you are saved
- The Security of the Believer Safe in Christ