If you only read one book this year, you should read this book. If you are the slightest bit concerned about avoiding pride, arrogance, legalism, hypocrisy, prejudice, and self-righteousness, you should read this book.
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look… (Proverbs 6:16-19)
Accidental Pharisees: Avoiding Pride, Exclusivity, and the Other Dangers of Overzealous Faith by Larry Osborne
Zealous faith can have a dangerous, dark side. While recent calls for radical Christians have challenged many to be more passionate about their faith, the down side can be a budding arrogance and self-righteousness that “accidentally” sneaks into our outlook.
In Accidental Pharisees, bestselling author Larry Osborne diagnoses nine of the most common traps that can ensnare Christians on the road to a deeper life of faith. Rejecting attempts to turn the call to follow Christ into a new form of legalism, he shows readers how to avoid the temptations of pride, exclusivity, legalism, and hypocrisy,
Larry reminds us that attempts to fan the flames of full-on discipleship and call people to Christlikeness should be rooted in love and humility. Christians stirred by calls to radical discipleship, but unsure how to respond, will be challenged and encouraged to develop a truly Christlike zeal for God.
- 10 Ways Prayers are Hindered (#5 is Shocking) 1) Prayers are hindered by lack of love All the virtue that is saving, and that distinguishes true Christians from others, is summed up in Christian love. When that love is missing or […]
- Becoming a trusted counselor To be a trusted counselor, you have to do more than come alongside a counselee and spout vague generalizations and empty platitudes. You must meet them where they are — like the LORD God […]
- Galatians For You (God’s Word For You) by Timothy Keller Galatians For You (God's Word For You) Galatians For You is a new curriculum tool you can use to learn or teach from the book of Galatians. Both student and teacher can use it to walk […]
- Luke 15 – The Divine Seeker of the bewildered, unconscious, and voluntary sinner Have you ever wondered if you've gotten so far away from God that he doesn't notice you anymore? Or maybe you feel like God notices you, but he's either angry with you for what you've […]
- Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine The Apostle Paul's final advice to the Corinthians at the end of his second letter to them includes a defense of his apostolic authority… Examine yourselves to see if your faith is […]
- Love like that Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. […]