The internet is a very powerful tool that is required for modern living, but it has a dangerous dark side, which cannot help build christian lives. I have provided internet access for my family to work, study, communicate, and conduct business from home. This is great but, I want to protect us from the dangers on the internet, which will grieve our righteous souls (2 Peter 2:8).
2 John 2:15-16
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.
I am afraid of standing before the judgment seat of Christ without taking necessary steps to bring up my children in the training and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4). Therefore, I have implemented the following layers of protection for our home…
First layer (Free): configure the router to use Open DNS (Family Shield), which blocks…
- Adult websites that are unsuitable for kids (or christian adults)
- Proxy and anonymizer sites commonly used by savvy kids to bypass traditional Web filters
- Phishing sites that aim to trick you into handing over personal or financial information
- Some virus-spreading malware websites
Second layer ($340/year): SONICWALL TZ210 wireless router, which protects against…
- Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection technology scans against multiple application types and protocols to protect against internal and external threats at both the application layer and the network layer
- Gateway Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Intrusion Prevention Service delivers intelligent, real-time network security protection against sophisticated application layer and content-based attacks, including viruses, spyware, worms, Trojans and software vulnerabilities such as buffer overflows
- Content Filtering Service provides controls to block multiple categories of objectionable Web content, delivering the ideal combination of control and flexibility to ensure the highest levels of productivity and protection
Third layer ($39/year): our minor children have NetNanny Internet Filtering Software installed on their computers, which provides…
- Parental control and internet safety solution that helps parents protect their children and monitor their Internet use, filter website content, monitor Facebook, set time controls, block inappropriate games, and much more
If you are really concerned about the dangers of the Internet to yourself, your family, and your children, then the several hundred dollars per year that this setup costs is very minimal. But, if you cannot afford even this much money, please at least consider configuring your router to use Open DNS (Family Shield), which is free and very easy to do.
I don’t claim these are the best or only solutions, because there are many similar products with lots of pros and cons, but I am just describing what I have done for the protection of my family.