I know a very nice family who have such a strong opinion on the meaning of one specific doctrinal point in the Bible they cannot have anything to do with any church that doesn’t agree with their position. As they have gotten more convinced of their position, they have eliminated almost all churches, and sadly they are down to just a few churches in one denomination. Ironically, they see this as proof of the truth of their position.
They ignore the meaning of many plain passages of scripture. They redefine the meaning of many words and concepts. They add many marginal notes and explanations. But they deny this effectively raises their opinion to be more important than the Bible.
Who inspired the Bible, you or God?
The Bible truth is we don’t have the right to ignore, modify, or redefine the meaning of the Bible to suit our personal opinions. God has provided his sovereign word in creation, his spoken voice, the guiding of the Holy Spirit, and the written word of the apostles and prophets. We are responsible to learn what it means, not change what it means.
- The Names of God in the Old Testament reveal his authority
- The phrase “the word of the Lord” appears 258 times in the Bible
- Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge. (Psalm 19:2)
- Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God. (2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT)
- Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17 WEB)
- And remember, our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved. This is what our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him—speaking of these things in all of his letters. Some of his comments are hard to understand, and those who are ignorant and unstable have twisted his letters to mean something quite different, just as they do with other parts of Scripture. And this will result in their destruction. (2 Peter 3:15-16 NLT)
- For everything that was written in the past was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures, we might have hope. (Romans 15:4)
The slippery slope of redefining the meaning of the Bible
Consider this example of a king of Israel who tried to change the meaning of a prophecy he didn’t like…
Have you effectively cut the word of the LORD out of the Bible by redefining its meaning? It didn’t end well for King Jehoiakim. It won’t end well for you. Please consider what it means to bow down before God…
- El Shaddai(Lord God Almighty)
- El Elyon(The Most High God)
- Adonai(Lord, Master)
- Yahweh(Lord, Jehovah)
- Jehovah Nissi(The Lord My Banner)
- Jehovah-Raah(The Lord My Shepherd)
- Jehovah Rapha(The Lord That Heals)
- Jehovah Shammah(The Lord Is There)
- Jehovah Tsidkenu(The Lord Our Righteousness)
- Jehovah Mekoddishkem(The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
- El Olam(The Everlasting God)
- Jehovah Jireh(The Lord Will Provide)
- Jehovah Shalom(The Lord Is Peace)
- Jehovah Sabaoth(The Lord of Hosts)