Last week, a dear Christian friend asked me, “Do you believe in the total depravity of man?” When I responded positively, he added, “Good, you are a Calvinist!” No, I do not believe in the Calvinist doctrine of extreme predestination.
Yes, man in his unregenerate natural sinful nature is totally depraved and cannot do anything good…
- The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Gen 6:5)
- The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” (Psalm 14:1)
- But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnessesare as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. (Isaiah 64:6)
- For out of the heart come evil thoughts–murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander (Matthew 15:19)
- As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; (Romans 3:10)
- They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work. (Titus 1:6)
So where does that leave us? Jesus said, “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:20)” We have no hope in our own righteousness. There are no good works that we can do, which will merit our salvation. There is nothing I can do to earn my salvation.
No, I am not saved by good works, I was not saved until I gave up my good works and died with Christ…
- Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? (Romans 2:4)
- For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. (Romans 11:32)
- For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives. (Romans 6:4)
- “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2:19-21)
- Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. (Galatians 5:24)
- Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (Titus 3:5)
- He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. (1 Peter 2:24)
Even a totally depraved man can admit when he is defeated and give up his own works and die with Jesus Christ. Please read “Calvanism – Extreme Predestination“. Please write to us or comment below if you have anything to add to this.